CAP's Youth Program (Ages 12 to 18)
Do you want to prepare for your future while making new friends? Then rise to the challenge of cadet membership in the U.S. Air Force Auxiliary, Civil Air Patrol.
Cadets fly, learn to lead, hike, camp, get in shape, and push themselves to new limits.
If you’re dreaming about a career in aviation, space, engineering, science or the military, or if you want to hone your leadership skills, CAP’s Cadet Program is for you.
What you get out of it
- Community service credit
- Flight and college scholarship opportunities
- Explore aviation, science and engineering careers through our summer programs
- Leadership Skills
- Valuable experiences to add to resume/college applications
- Orientation flights in CAP aircraft
- Search and rescue training
Advanced grade if later enlisting in military
...And much more
Cadets typically meet for two hours per week on average, participate in occasional weekend events and also have opportunities to attend leadership encampments, career academies, and other activities during the summer.
All applicants for cadet membership must meet the following prerequisites:
- Girls and boys 12 years old (or attending 6th grade) through 18 years old.
- Enrolled in or graduated from a public or private school or college with a satisfactory record of academic achievement.
- Not married.
- Not a member of the active duty Armed Forces.
- U.S citizen or alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the United States.
- Good moral character.
Ready to join?
- The best way to get started in the Civil Air Patrol is to visit our squadron.
- Next, please visit our "How to Join" page for a step-by-step guide to joining CAP.
- And, be sure to visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for teens.
Do you need information to show your parents?
Direct them to the Frequently Asked Questions for Parents page for more information about the Civil Air Patrol.